Lag in new hackage mirroring of old hackage

Duncan Coutts duncan at well-typed.com
Wed Sep 11 12:41:02 CEST 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 16:31 -0400, Gregory Weber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to report some lag in the mirroring of old hackage
> by the new hackage.
>
> "Note: we are mirroring packages from the old server (currently every
> 30min) so it is suitable to use as your main hackage server with some
> caveats: because we are allowing package authors to upload (as well as
> the mirroring) then you may find a slightly different set of packages
> on this server. "
>
> -- http://new-hackage.haskell.org/ viewed on August 2, 2013
>
> But for some elm packages, I just noticed today, the versions
> on new hackage are considerably more than 30 minutes older
> than those on old hackage:

I realise this is a very late reply, but a little explanation is perhaps
still interesting.

Yes, the mirroring did fail and we didn't have any monitoring set up or
auto restart so we didn't notice for a while. I think I have identified
and fixed the cause of the failure (the mirror client was designed to be
robust to mirroring problems but this one slipped through).

On the new beta site the mirror client is running under an init script
and the infrastructure team are going to sort out auto restart and
monitoring for us.

--
Duncan Coutts, Haskell Consultant