Cabal hack night suggestions

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 12:53:43 UTC 2014

Hi David,

Great to here that you're going to hack on cabal. We need all the
contributors we can get!

The general roadmap for 1.20 is here:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cabal-devel/2013-September/009533.html

The "Do the right thing automatically" section is probably the most newbie
friendly.

Other than that we really need to get the bug tracker under control. This
means triaging bugs and fixing those that need fixing and closing the rest.
I took a stab at this a while ago but if you want something to get your
feet wet, I suggest grabbing something that looks interesting from the bug
tracker.

As for hacking on cabal, I suggest using sandboxes, like so:

cd cabal/cabal-install
# only once:
cabal sandbox init
cabal sandbox add-source ../Cabal