Suggestion: Use Buildbot
ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 16:21:37 EDT 2006
The Yhc team have been using buildbot for a few months now, and its
really really really helping to get the software to a higher quality,
and to detect regressions really fast. As such perhaps GHC might want
to consider moving from nightly builds done with shell scripts etc, to
The Yhc buildbot site is here:
And instructions for adding a new slave:
The buildbot website:
As you can see, the instructions to set up as a buildbot slave are
about 2 lines :)
The advantages of buildbot over what you have now are:
* Really easy to add a new buildbot slave/target. This means that
individual users can just add their machines, so you should get more
* Can get a nice quality website with build failures, lets people know
* Written in python, so OS neutral.
* Can do more than nightly - Yhc does every 10 minutes. It only does a
build if a patch has happened, and if the slave is turned off, it does
a build on reconnection. Can of course do nightly if thats what you
* Anyone can be a buildbot slave - my main office machine is. The
machine doesn't have to be always on, it doesn't haev to be unused,
you can run buildbot as nice, in the background.
* You can fire off new builds - for example if you make a change that
might effect PPC you can fire off a build and test it immediately. We
have remotely fixed build issues this way.
* Can mail blame lists off etc.
* Written and maintained by someone else :)
Buildbot has been particularly helpful to Yhc, so GHC might also
benefit from it.
More information about the Cvs-ghc