simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 26 18:52:26 CEST 2011
An update on GHC 7.2. I am going on holiday in 30 mins, returning Tuesday 7 June.
· New coercion representation is in HEAD
· New generics are in HEAD (thanks Pedro)
· Monad comprehensions are in HEAD.
· Safe Haskell is not yet in: Simon M to review
· Filename encoding is in HEAD (I think). Max to confirm.
· Plugins are sadly not in. I have a nearly built tree. All I need is about four uninterrupted hours, but I won't get that till the week of 7th.
· Data Parallel Haskell. Manuel to advise on status. I think its ready.
So let's concentrate on closing bugs.
· Five highest-prio bugs: #4421, #5085, #5151, #5203, #5201
· About a dozen high-priority bugs. Almost all have owners.
I don't have an opinion about when to fork the tree.
From: cvs-ghc-bounces at haskell.org [mailto:cvs-ghc-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Simon Peyton-Jones
Sent: 06 May 2011 14:33
To: David Terei; José Pedro Magalhães; Max Bolingbroke; Manuel M T Chakravarty; Roman Leshchinskiy; Gabriele Keller; Ben Lippmeier; Ian Lynagh; David Mazieres expires 2011-07-18 PDT
Subject: GHC 7.2
Simon and I have just had a chat about the upcoming GHC 7.2 The basic idea for 7.2 is that
· It'll include lots of new code (see below)
· It'll be the first seriously-working release of DPH
· But because of the new code, it may not be a stable as our main annual release.
· We'll settle it down, and release a (hopefully nice and stable) 7.4 around ICFP
The new stuff we expect to be in 7.2:
· New coercion representation (ghc-new-co branch). Simon PJ is doing this; nearly finished.
· Monad comprehensions. Already merged.
· Plugins. A relatively small patch, and ready to go. Simon PJ to review and merge.
· New generic deriving (ghc-generics branch). Pedro is leading this; nearly done. Simon PJ will merge when he and Pedro are happy.
· Filename encoding (encoding branch). Max is leading; Simon M has reviewed. Max: please merge this in when you are ready.
· Safe Haskell. David Terei and David Mazieres; see http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/SafeHaskell. Nearly done. Simon M to review.
· Data Parallel Haskell. Manuel, Ben, Gabi, Roman.
Timescale: Simon M is tied up most of June, so we propose:
· All merging done by end May. (This is a couple of weeks later than we were previously advertising, but you can see why when you look at the list above. And there is nothing directly pressing us to make this release.)
· Fork the tree.
· Squeeze out regressions
· Make release candidate
One difference from darcs is that
After forking, bug-fixes for the release should be made on the 7.2.1 branch, validated, and merged back into master
(Reason: it's not easy to cherry-pick patches from the master to merge into the branch.)
Sound ok? Yell if not.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Cvs-ghc