[database-devel] Request for Feedback on COPY IN/OUT support for postgresql-simple

Leon Smith leon.p.smith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 05:40:38 CEST 2013

Yeah, eventually adding some level of understanding of the formats would be
nice,   but honestly my immediate need is a higher-performance (and
somewhat specialized) replication solution;  I only need a tiny bit of
understanding of the data I'm shipping from server to server.    But at the
same time,  a complete solution would need to deal with all three formats
and the numerous flavors thereof,  not just CSV.  I don't doubt that the
current FromField/ToField interface isn't particularly well suited to
dealing with copy data,  though.  =)

As for threadWaitWrite,  I understand that,  but the code is actually dead
code at the moment because postgresql-simple doesn't use libpq connections
in asynchronous mode;  it's just there for when postgresql-simple starts
using async libpq calls.    Which is something I would like to do,  but it
would also be a disaster on Windows at the moment.  I'm thinking perhaps
that the most sensible thing to do would be to reimplement the blocking
libpq calls in haskell using nonblocking libpq calls,  and then only use
this module on unix systems.    Hopefully that would cut down on the CPP
hackery.