qforeign-0.62

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 1 03:34:50 EST 2000

| So, how about the following?  Instead of the
|
|   newtype Window = Window ForeignObj
|
| way of wrapping foreign ADTs that we used so far, should we
| use
|
|   newtype WindowTag = WindowTag ()
|   type    Window    = ForeignObj WindowTag

A fine idea.  I accept what you say about ADTs, but
if it's really so, we woudn't need the objectionable

>    withForeignObj :: ForeignObj -> (Ptr a -> IO b) -> IO b

because all ForeignObj-manipulating things would be foreign
imported

	foreign import f :: Window -> IO ()

Anyway, it strikes me as good to tag each ForeignObj with
an indication of what it points to, just so that one does not mix
up ForeignObjs that should not be mixed.

But it's just a suggestion.  You guys who are deeply into the FFI
should decide.

It would be nice to get to closure on this FFI stuff -- it's been going on
a long time!

Simon