freeHaskellFunctionPtr

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Jan 2 03:40:11 EST 2001

I propose to deprecate `freeHaskellFunctionPtr' in Foreign.
Equivalent functionality is now available from
`Ptr.freeHaskellFunPtr'.  Normally, we have all `Ptr'
functionality also in a variant for `Addr', but in this
case, this doesn't make sense in my opinion.  The reason is
that `Addr' is there as a backup solution when `Ptr' doesn't
fit.  But if a `Addr' is used to represent a Haskell
function pointer, I don't see a reason that `Ptr.FunPtr'
could not have been taken.

If there are no objections, I will deprecate
`freeHaskellFunctionPtr' in `Foreign'.

Cheers,
Manuel

PS: It could be argued that `Ptr ()' can always be used
    instead of `Addr' and that therefore we should do away
    with `Addr' altogether.  Opinions?