Let's get this finished

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Tue Jan 9 12:40:45 EST 2001

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 13:59:10 +1100, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> pisze:

> I was thinking of having the library itself by default
> provide a set of standard encodings.  Like - as you say
> later - we usually rely on a set of standard MIME encodings
> to be available.

If an encoding is added to the database at some point of time,
a program uses it and is then recompiled on a system which does
not provide this encoding, you get a runtime error.

If conversions are referred to as plain imported values, you get
a compile error.

A database is only useful if encodings are now known individually
by the programmer and he wants his program to support everything
the Haskell's library provides for some well known name scheme. It
can be a convenience wrapper, but definitely not the basic reference
for conversions.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/