FFI Report, CVS Id 1.4
simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 5 05:30:31 EDT 2001
| Subject: FFI Report, CVS Id 1.4
| ...is available at
Good stuff, Manuel. Thanks!
Suggestion: would you like to add this to the CVS repository.
Then others can get hold of it, and even modify it (e.g. correct
typos, add examples). It's inefficient to type a message saying
"add a comma after "..bubble.."".
There's an obvious place for it. The Haskell Report is in the
CVS repository cvs.haskell.org in the 'module' haskell-report.
cvs checkout haskell-report
There is a sub-directory for report/ and another for libraries/,
so you could just create a directory for ffi/. I'm unsure about
access permissions, but I'm copying Jeff Lewis who is root on
More generally, the spec is looking good.
* I strongly suggest however adding a brief collection of examples
as Section 1.3 (or Section 2).
* Similarly, for each language-specific section, we must add a
collection of examples.
No one who was not intimately familiar with the FFI would
be able to make sense of 'import dynamic' or 'import wrapper'.
* You mention en passant that there's a new type CInt. Very good, but
the full set of types (and their operations) must be defined in the
language-specific sections. Indeed, I suggest we take 3.2 and
make it a top-level Section, with a sub-section for each language.
* "external types" are mentioned in 3.2.1 but nowhere defined.
* Nowhere do you say that in
foreign import ... foo :: type
that this defines the Haskell variable 'foo' with type 'type'.
it's just "defines a variable", with nothing about type.)
* I think we are agreed that the stuff about marshalling libraries
this document too. Much of it is already written. Could it be
More information about the FFI