FFI Report, CVS Id 1.5

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Wed Jun 13 15:11:13 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:00:09AM +0200, Sven Panne wrote:

> > (I still think that the "static" keyword is not necessary.)
>
> How would you import a function named "static" then?

There can't be such a function: it's a keyword in C :-P

And even if it was allowed in C, without any special meaning of
"static" inside the external entity specification there would be
no problem with importing it - just write "static".

What the lack of static takes away is the ability to import a function
called "dynamic" or "wrapper". I don't think that it's a big limitation
considering hundreds of names which are taken away by a Haskell's
runtime system.

Anyway, we could call them "_dynamic" and "_wrapper" to indicate
that they are magical in some sense - using such names for external
function names would be a violation of ISO/ANSI C rules (they are
reserved for the C implementation).

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/