Library archives

Alastair Reid reid at cs.utah.edu
Sun Jun 16 14:15:08 EDT 2002

> Hence, personally, I would tend to restrict the string in square
> brackets to the name of a library without a suffix.

So you're proposing that it be a single library and not a list of
libraries and especially not a bunch of search directories and files?

This works for .h files because is is easy to merge multiple .h files
into one by creating a super-file which #includes the others.  But
this relies on having multi-include protection in the individual
(leaf-node) include files.

Can we do this for libraries too?  I think it would need multi-include
protections and at the moment I'm struggling to see how to do it.

Hmmmm, what is the story if two files independently link against the
same .o file or .so file?  Do you get one copy of the file or two?  I
guess you have to get just one copy - which means that dynamic linking
has to be in a single namespace which has some consequences for Hugs
and GreenCard (which currently uses a separate namespace per module).

> The suffix and other link options would, then, need to be supplied
> by the Haskell system or via command line options to the compiler
> and/or linker.  I favour this, as it seems to be the most likely
> scenario that makes a single foreign import declaration work on more
> than one platform.

This makes sense.

> (I would also give the Haskell system the option of ignoring the
> library spec altogether.)

Hmmm, Hugs is already ignoring the header file because it doesn't seem
to provide anything except headaches[details at end].  If I can ignore
the lib spec too then things get much simpler but not necessarily
better.

The package system provided by GHC and NHC provides an alternate place
where libraries could be specified.  Can someone familiar with
packages and with Hugs comment on whether they'd be able to replace
the ffi's library spec and would make sense for typical Hugs usage.
And would that meet SimonPJ's need too?

--
Alastair Reid        reid at cs.utah.edu        http://www.cs.utah.edu/~reid/

ps The reason I'm wary of using the user-supplied header file is not
cpp/C-namespace cleanliness (see recent GHC bug report) but the way
that adding or removing a function prototype changes the semantics.
The new Hugs ffi implementation ignores the header file and generates
its own prototypes.  This makes the following forms equivalent (which
I consider a good thing):

  foreign import ccall "static" foo :: <whatever>

and

  foo :: <whatever>
  foo = foo_dyn foo_addr

  foreign import ccall "& foo" foo_addr :: FunPtr <whatever>
  foreign import ccall "dynamic" foo_dyn :: (FunPtr <whatever>) -> <whatever>

I think the useful and important job of checking that the ffi specs
match the header file or, better, the code as compiled is best done by
a separate tool.