ForeignPtr-related signatures

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Nov 17 10:46:04 EST 2002

Just some small questions: Are we really going to change the signatures of
newForeignPtr and addForeignPtrFinalizer from those which GHC has for ages
to the new "C finaliser only" ones? Why don't we use other names and
deprecate the old ones? And what are the plans in this area for GHC 5.04.2?

Maybe this has been discussed already, but a brain buffer overflow occured
while reading the finaliser thread...  %-}

Note that I don't have very strong feelings about this, using the new
signatures even in GHC will pose no real problems: The type checker will
catch old code and the current interface is easy to emulate via "foreign
import wrapper".

Cheers,
    S.