ForeignPtr-related signatures

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 07:51:18 EST 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 11:42:41AM +0100, Sven Panne wrote:
> I remember atomicModifyIORef, but what are its "friends" exactly? PVars
> have died, IIRC, and some cunning constraints on the execution order of
> finalizers were rejected, too.

Do you mean dependencies between ForeignPtrs?  I don't think the people
who need them have given up.  But I certainly hope that the execution
order of finalizers on a single ForeignPtr is specified, and I think I
saw SimonM agreeing to it.  At the minimum it is necessary to specify
that any finalizer added to a ForeignPtr created with mallocForeignPtr
runs before the memory is deallocated.