addForeignPtrFinalizer

Alastair Reid alastair at reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Tue Nov 26 08:14:14 EST 2002

Did we ever sort out the original subject of this thread which was:

  Should finalizers on a given foreign pointer be executed in the
  order they were added?

It is obvious what addForeignPtrFinalizer can be used for if this
guarantee is made.  As far as I can recall, no-one has suggested what
addForeignPtrFinalizer is good for if this guarantee is _not_ made.

Hugs makes this guarantee.

I believe NHC can easily make this guarantee if they don't do so
already.

GHC does not make this guarantee but they know how to implement it.

The current ffi spec (release candidate 7) does not make this guarantee.

Alastair Reid                 alastair at reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Reid Consulting (UK) Limited  http://www.reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk/alastair/