addForeignPtrFinalizer

Alastair Reid alastair at reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Tue Sep 24 13:07:12 EDT 2002

Alastair wrote:
> I seem to remember that Sigbjorn and Erik dealt with this problem by
> arranging some kind of GC-visible link between the objects so that
> until the second finalizer has run, the object will not be
> considered garbage.

Sorry, this was nonsense - I hadn't noticed that is was a single
ForeignPtr (in Haskell land) as well as being a single object (in C
land).

Seems like it'd be reasonable to specify an order for these.

An alternative would be to drop addForeignPtrFinalizer.  I have no
idea what the motivation for this function is since I can't think when
you'd need/want/prefer to add finalization actions incrementally
instead of doing it in one step.  Can someone give a motivating
example where there is some advantage in adding finalization actions
incrementally?

--
Alastair