PIC status

Alastair Reid alastair at reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Sun Aug 1 18:47:50 EDT 2004

[Redirected to ffi at ... from cvs-ghc at ...]

Wolfgang Thaller wrote:
> [lots of stuff about dynamic linking/ghc/PIC deleted]
> So what's left to do is the following:
> [...]
> 7) Devise a way of telling GHC that a foreign import is imported from a
> DLL (for Windows); something like __declspec(dllimport) in Windows C
> compilers. We should have thought of this before the FFI spec was
> finalized...
> [...]

Can you explain point 7?

How is a foreign import from DLL different from a foreign import from
statically linked files or from foreign import of a function pointer?
Do you have to do something different to cause the DLL to be loaded or do you
have to invoke the function using a different calling convention or both?

--
Alastair Reid