Request: withArrayLength

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Tue Mar 23 03:01:13 EST 2004

Hello,

I'd like to second Svens second seconding of my request. In my
original post saying that "you often need the length" rather
understates the case I think. Occasions where you don't need
the length seem to be quite rare (for me at least).

Also, this function may enable more space efficient code by
implementing some kind of lazy marshalling scheme, whereby
the memory allocated to the array was extended as required
as list evaluation proceeded. Dunno if that's technically
feasible in the rts of various Haskell implementations though.

But if it is, it won't save any memory with things as they
are because we need to hang on to the entire list in order to
calculate it's length :-(

Regards
--
Adrian Hey