Overloading and overlap

Daan Leijen daan at cs.uu.nl
Wed Apr 20 06:34:15 EDT 2005

Monique Louise wrote:

>Hi, Daan,
>

>>Note that "under the hood"
>>even .NET and Java use different names for each method ("renaming") to
>>distinguish them.
>>

> perhaps the virtual machine or the JIT compiler use different names
>to resolve overloads, but the code in .NET MSIL, for example, uses the
>same name.

Ah yes, but that is because the .NET system still maintains types, ie.
the JIT resolves them in the end. So, if you want to call a .NET overloaded
function, you also need to pass the types of the arguments (which is just
as complicated as "renaming"). I guess that from the Haskell side, you
still need to have unique names for each overloaded version and use the
class system to resolve them. Maybe you can do with a single version where
you pass the types of the arguments too? Maybe with Dynamic of Equality
data types from [1]?

All the best,
-- Daan

[1] Arthur Baars and Doaitse Swierstra, "Typing Dynamic Typing"