[Freebsd-haskell] Some Topics to Discuss...

Jacula Modyun jacula at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:08:19 EST 2009

Hi Gabor,

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:30:53PM +0100, Gabor Pali <pgj at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > I'm started some month ago, introducing the possibility to compile the developer
> > documentation for every haskell ports with ghc.
>
> Would not be better to have these ports merged?  If I recall
> correctly, Samy already said something like that on IRC a while ago.
> However, it is a still an open question(?) what to do with libraries
> and their documentation.  In ports of Ashish and mine, we respect the
> NOPORTDOCS variable, so these ports could be installed with or without
> documentation by setting this.

I'm sorry but I referred to the pr:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/120975

> > 1) My first question is how I could become a named developer in this team
> >   like the current developers:
>
> I do not know who is maintaining the effort's web page, but I would
> point to Samy.  He is the administrator here.  I do not have any
> objection to include you.  The more developer we have, the more we can
> progress.

Thank you for your credit; so I will ask Samy.

> > I haven't any important objection about this, but fixing the maintainer in
> > this way reduces, for me, the level of responsibility and attention to
> > each single haskell port.
>
> I do not think you would be bored when we will have more than many
> hundreds of hs-* ports :P

Well I understand the problem but there are, at least, two points:

1) Sorry for the simple example (perhaps I don't hit the mark), but the majority
   of ports (thousands) depends on the compiler gcc and it isn't a problem
   having a different maintainer for each port. I don't think this is unmanageable.

2) Exist a "contributors list":

   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/index.html

   and this is connected with each single named maintainer.

In any way this isn't, definitely, a problem for me.

> problems somehow.  Okay, I will check out the referenced PRs.  Thank
> you for pointing this out!

Thanks, I'd like you could weight my work and give me some suggestions.

Giuseppe