[Freebsd-haskell] Cabal Ports Reworked & Committed

Ashish SHUKLA wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Thu May 13 12:07:48 EDT 2010

Gabor PALI writes:
> Dear all,

Hi Gabor,

> As you might have seen, yesterday I finally committed my changes
> regarding the Cabal-based Haskell ports [1].  Hopefully both QAT and
> pointyhat will like it, and we can start to catching up with updating
> and adding new ports in the haskell category.

I didn't noticed that, but thanks for bringing that to my notice. I looked at
couple of ports they look really beautiful and slim now. Though, I've not
tried them yet, but will try them tomorrow. Thanks for your efforts. :)

> You can submit updates in any form you like, for instance via:

> - GNATS PR [2] (preferred).
> - Direct email to FreeBSD committers [3].
> - This list.

> Please, try to use hsporter [4] and send patches or tell me about your
> experiences! :)

And also aren't you going to put hsporter on hackage ? And then have it as a
port. IIRC, hsporter worked fine with no issues.

> I also would like to call everybody for discussion on how to proceed.  I
> have made some preliminary experiments with gitting and package building
> on our own, so I think it slowly becomes possible to implement a more
> open and fast-paced development for FreeBSD Haskell ports and packages
> with occasionally merging back to the FreeBSD Ports Collection as Samy
> Al Bahra has already imagined it about a year ago [5].

> In my opinion, we should still stick to the original idea, and host a
> public git repository somewhere where we provide access to all
> interested contributors.  But I propose to start small: use only two
> branches in the beginning.

> - The "master" branch would be the place for the daily-updated vanilla
> FreeBSD ports tree, used for periodic (perhaps weekly) internal merging.

> - The "ports" branch would be where you can add and update your ports.
> It would serve two purposes:

You mean per-user "ports" branch, or just single "ports" branch ?

Ashish
--
Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  -- Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin