[Freebsd-haskell] Error building GHC 6.12.1 in Tinderbox tracked finally.

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 18 17:25:24 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Ashish SHUKLA <wahjava.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope this was the only hurdle we'd. Now any ideas how to sanitize the
> environment ? Using env(1) or any other better way ?

Yeah, I remember this nice error message :)  I think the problem was
around an uninitialized variable (describing packages) in the
Makefile.  I have managed to fix it back in January, but I do not know
where I left the solution :P  Anyway, if you find something to patch,
it would be nice to post the cvs-ghc.

I do not know exactly how to setup a Tinderbox-like jail (perhaps you
should consult the sources), but GHC 6.12.x and 6.13 builds without
any problems in a clean jailed environment for me.  It seems Tinderbox
is very picky... which is good for us in the long run.  I solution
would be to use the "enterBuild" feature of Tinderbox (I think I did
that in January to hunt down the problem) but it requires root
privileges.

Cheers,
:g