[Freebsd-haskell] wxhaskell on freebsd?

Tim Matthews tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 08:50:38 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Gabor PALI <pgj at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Tim Matthews <tim.matthews7 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Has anyone ever got wxhaskell to work on freebsd?
>
> Yep, I have used it with 6.10.4 back then in February.
>
> I added GHC 6.10.4 (lang/ghc) and wxGTK 2.8.10
> (x11-toolkits/wxgtk28-unicode) together with their dependencies from
> the Ports Collection, installed a fresh cabal-install (0.8.0) manually
> from sources, added ~/.cabal/bin to my PATH (having wxdirect), removed
> the latest Cabal library (1.8.0.2) from my ~/.cabal directory with
> `ghc-pkg unregister Cabal` (since it will not build wxHaskell) then
> issued `cabal update && cabal install wx` (though it requires a
> symbolic link from wx-config to wxgtk2u-2.8-config).
>
> After then, I managed to compile and run the example sources (Hello.hs
> and BouncingBalls.hs) from the wxHaskell Wiki without any problems.
>
> I do not know whether it works with GHC 6.12.2 though.
>

> Cheers,
> :g

I assumed wx would be required to install and the only additional thing I
had to do to get 'cabal install wx' and wxhaskell 'hello world' sample to
work was 'ln -s /usr/local/bin/wxgtk2-2.8-config /usr/local/bin/wx-config'.
I will probably ask the port maintainer to create this sym link by default.

Thanks a lot.