[Hs-Generics] A Lightweight Implementation of Generics and Dynamics (LIGD)

Johan Jeuring johanj at cs.uu.nl
Wed Oct 4 15:04:18 EDT 2006

>> ==
>> Approach: A Lightweight Implementation of Generics and Dynamics
> [..]
>>  It is a bit
>> outdated because with GADTs, the use can be slightly simplified.
>> However, this also
>> takes us further away from Haskell 98 or even Haskell' (since
>> GADTs will not be there).
>
> The 2nd Haskell' StrawPoll
>
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/StrawPoll-2
>
> had for GADTs
>
>   5 Y
>   4 M
>   4 N
>
> So, it's currently undecided whether they will be in.  (And
> personally,
> I don't think we should hold ourselves up with H98.)

I think this is probably something we should take up again once we
have the
differences between the different approaches clear. I can imagine a
number
of scenarios:
- designing three different libraries (Haskell 98, Haskell', and  GHC
+ all
extensions),
- or a single library that is easier to use the more extensions of
Haskell 98
is available,
- forgetting about Haskell 98 altogether if Haskell' is emerging at
that time,
-...
But maybe we should defer this discussion until the beginning of next
year.

-- Johan