[Hs-Generics] Paper about comparing libraries

Johan Jeuring johanj at cs.uu.nl
Sun Jun 17 15:46:30 EDT 2007

Dear generics-subscribers,

I announced our attempt to write a paper for the Haskell workshop on
this list more than a month ago. I'm afraid we failed. Not because we
have been lazy, but because it turned out to be more work to perform
all the tests and evaluations. And while we were writing the paper a
new library for generic programming appeared!

On the other hand, we got quite far, and we have the feeling we can
write quite a nice paper about the subject. To mention something
recent: Patrik Jansson performed some time-measurements for the
different libraries. The very limited tests (form which you cannot
draw any conclusions without more evidence, I think) show that the
fastest approach is around 8 times faster than the slowest approach!
So we will try to keep up the momentum, and submit a paper to POPL.
It has to take a bit broader perspective, but we think that that
should be possible.

If you're interested in participating let me know, then I can give
you access to the paper repository. The test code can be obtained
from the darcs repository.

Al the best ,

Johan