Cross Compilation

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 5 09:16:32 CEST 2013

I'm delighted to see all this activity around porting GHC to other platforms, making the build system work etc.  Thank you all.

I have not been following any of it in detail (it's beyond both my expertise and bandwidth). I am of course willing to help with anything you need my specific input for, but you'll have to ask me specifically.  On this TH question it sounds as if you know what you are doing, which is great.  In general, TH is built only in stage2 because the compiler compiles and runs interpreted code at compile time.  So the representations (layout of objects, say) that are used by the interpreted code had better be identical to those used by the interpreter itself.

Simon