[GHC] #7436: Derived Foldable and Traversable instances become extremely inefficient due to eta-expansion

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 17 23:26:14 CEST 2013

It was ready to merge 3 months ago... but perhaps just got lost in the press of events.   liyang said then " Since this issue affects a large number of users and doesn't seem too contentious, could this fix be included in 7.6.2?"

But we are where we are.  I honestly don't know if it's worth the risk, though it seems very slight, and certainly only affects 'deriving Foldable/Traversable".

Simon