browsing on github

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 25 03:58:25 CEST 2013

Hi fellow devs,

Do any of you use github for browsing the GHC code? I find it useful sometimes, especially when I'm collaborating with someone remotely and wish to send a link to some code, or when I don't have a particular branch to hand. As of October, github now renders all .lhs files as Markdown. It seems other Haskellers have requested this, but it wreaks havoc on GHC's code, which does not use Markdown. In particular, Markdown uses ~~~~ to delineate code segments, and GHC uses that to underline Notes. This has bothered me for months, but I finally rooted down the cause and opened a ticket. The ticket is here: https://github.com/github/markup/issues/196  If you have run into this problem and have an opinion about it, please share it there!

Thanks,
Richard