--with-gcc does not work well

Páli Gábor János pali.gabor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 11:23:39 CEST 2013

Hi,

We have started to discuss this issue in #7652, but I still could not
reproduce this problem on a 9.1-RELEASE.  (But got another one, see
what I wrote you in private.)

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> This caused an error:
>
>         Configuring terminfo-0.3.2.5...
>         configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-compiler, --with-iconv-includes, --with-iconv-libraries, --with-gmp-includes, --with-gmp-libraries, --with-gcc
>         checking for gcc... cc
>         checking whether the C compiler works... no
>         configure: error: in `/usr/home/kazu/work/ghc/libraries/terminfo':
>         configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

> For GCC, "cc" is guessed.

This is probably because the C compiler is guessed from the value of
the CC environment variable, see the --help flag of "configure":

Some influential environment variables:
  CC          C compiler command
  CFLAGS      C compiler flags
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  LIBS        libraries to pass to the linker, e.g. -l<library>
  CPPFLAGS    (Objective) C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if
              you have headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
  CPP         C preprocessor

> I think that the --with-gcc option for "configure" does not work
> well and we need to fix this.

Independently of that, I think you are right, one should not
necessarily set CC in order to redefine the "gcc" used.  I could take
a look at that.