Fwd: GHC internals

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 11:02:16 CEST 2013

> From: *Simon Peyton-Jones* <simonpj at microsoft.com
> <mailto:simonpj at microsoft.com>>
>
> Norman
>
> |    - Is there anything published about the implementation of GHCi?
> |      Or perhaps something on the Developers' Wiki that explains how it
> works?
>
> If you mean the details of bytecode compilation and the bytecode
> interpreter, I'm really not sure that there is.  That's bad; there
> should be. I'm ccing Simon M in case he knows of something.

Julian Seward wrote some notes on the way GHCi works, which are in the
commentary:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Compiler/Backends/GHCi

It's not much, but there are some technical details about stacks and
suchlike there.  The bytecode itself is a pretty simple stack machine, I
can probably answer questions if there's anything you need some help with.

Cheers,
	Simon