Stage1Only

Trevor Elliott trevor at galois.com
Tue Apr 30 20:03:28 CEST 2013

> I'm a bit confused - what is the issue that you want to "fix"?  The fix
> I suggested was to change the name of Stage1Only to more closely reflect
> what it actually does: disable the building of the stage 2 compiler
> *binary* but not the *package*, and install the stage 1 compiler.  If
> you additionally want to disable the stage 2 package, you can add
> stage=1 to your build.mk, though the only reason to do that would be to
> speed up the build in cases where you don't need stage 2.

Making with stage=1 causes the rts to never build.  Additionally, GHC
was failing to build on the master branch with stage=1 when I submitted
the patch.

My goal was to make it so that generating a cross compiler /only/ was
feasible with the build system, as well as allow packages and tools to
be disabled for targets where they don't make sense, like the HaLVM.
The way things are currently, you'll generate much of the target
toolchain in addition to the stage 1 cross compiler.  Stage1Only seemed
like the documented way to go about this on the wiki, but it seems like
nobody feels this should be a supported feature.

I'd really like to see something in the spirit of Stage1Only, and
package/tool disabling working, as it would allow us to more closely
integrate the HaLVM with the ghc build system.  I'm very much willing to
do the work if you and Ian can give me some pointers for how you'd like
it done.

--trevor