Multiple repositories, submodules, subtrees and whatnot (Was: Re: libffi)

Niklas Larsson metaniklas at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 12:38:12 CEST 2013

> Given the recent debate about using submodules or subtrees, and the
> occasional issues with sync-all: did anyone ever look into using the
> 'repo' tool? Created by Google for Android development (AFAIK), but also
> used by several other projects. See https://code.google.com/p/git-repo/

Con:
- It doesn't work on Windows at all. Which is a showstopper by itself.
- It doesn't actually solve any of the problems with having tightly
coupled code in different repos. It's just a tool where you can snarf
a boatload of repos at once.
- Everything would have to be restructured into side-by-side gits.