Ian leaving and the glorious future

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Mon Aug 5 10:12:31 CEST 2013

On 08/02/2013 07:32 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> Dear ghc-dev friends,
>
> [snip]
>
> Don’t worry: I’m not bowing out! But I am very much trying to
> encourage you to feel that GHC is *your* compiler, not just SPJ/SM’s
> compiler that you can contribute to. I’m open to suggestions for how
> best to nurture broad participation.

Hi,

As a suggestion to increase participation, OcamlLab recently hosted a
compiler hacking evening [1] and maybe it would be a good idea to host
the same kind of thing for GHC ? If it's not practical to meet in the
same physical place (not enough people in the same place, no place to
meet, etc), organizing IRC hacking session might a good backup option.

Also, one thing that I find missing is a bite sized list of
projects/bug/improvements to get started for newcomers. The full list of
opened issued on trac is probably an intimidating list to get started.

[1] https://github.com/ocamllabs/compiler-hacking/wiki
<https://github.com/ocamllabs/compiler-hacking/wiki>

--
Vincent