GHC git server issue : warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_AU.UTF-8)

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Mon Aug 5 11:04:54 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I'm getting the above warning messahe every time I pull from the
main GHC git repo. The strange thing is that this only happens on
the GHC repo, on a whole bunch of others I get no such warning.

After some pretty rigorous investigation I concluded that this is
actually a issues with the GHC sit server. Since I'm doing the
pull over ssh, ssh passes my environment (include LC_*) to the
server, but the server doesn't support en_AU.UTF-8.

To explore further, I sshed into darcs.haskell.org and it seems
that locales are completely broken on this machine. Not even
en_US.UTF-8 is support.

I suppose its not a big deal but it would be nice to fix so no
one else wastes any time debugging this.

Erik