GHC git server issue : warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_AU.UTF-8)

Austin Seipp aseipp at pobox.com
Mon Aug 5 14:51:26 CEST 2013

I did this. Thanks for the tip. Let me know if anything else is going on.

The page describing the old server setup is here:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell.org_domain - I was going to
take the time to update this earlier this week but got sidetracked
unfortunately. In the meantime, the current standing set of admins
are:

- Peter Simons
- Vo Minh Thu
- Merijn Verstraaten
- John Wiegley

and I am one of the new infrastructure administrators as well. You can
consider me a go-to point if there are problems with ghc.haskell.org
since I'm a committer as well.

Right now things are a bit transitional; we still need to organize
some stuff like where to report server issues, etc. I will hopefully
be able to clear some of this up in the next week or so. And also make
it clear where you can report problems, etc.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Geoffrey Mainland <mainland at apeiron.net> wrote:
> On 08/05/2013 10:04 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm getting the above warning messahe every time I pull from the
>> main GHC git repo. The strange thing is that this only happens on
>> the GHC repo, on a whole bunch of others I get no such warning.
>>
>> After some pretty rigorous investigation I concluded that this is
>> actually a issues with the GHC sit server. Since I'm doing the
>> pull over ssh, ssh passes my environment (include LC_*) to the
>> server, but the server doesn't support en_AU.UTF-8.
>>
>> To explore further, I sshed into darcs.haskell.org and it seems
>> that locales are completely broken on this machine. Not even
>> en_US.UTF-8 is support.
>>
>> I suppose its not a big deal but it would be nice to fix so no
>> one else wastes any time debugging this.
>>
>> Erik
>
> Sounds like someone needs to run "locale-gen en" on the server.
>
> More generally, who is now in charge of the server(s)? There is a nice
> wiki page about the proposed migration to gitolite, but I couldn't find
> the wiki page that describes the haskell.org infrastructure. Where is it
> hosted? Who are the sysadmins. Who is "in charge?" How can new people
> contribute?
>
> Geoff

Regards,
Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671