Ian leaving and the glorious future

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 9 15:01:40 CEST 2013

I've had to deal with the stage 1 compiler for two different reasons:

- I check out a new tree to work on a new task, and I forget to build
before modifying the code.

- I'm working on a tree with a working stage-1 compiler, but then I
change the interface file format. After the stage-2 compiler builds, it
can't do anything because it can't read any of the libraries.

Another nice benefit of working on stage 1 is that I can put off dealing
with Template Haskell until the core functionality is working.

I always get a little confused with the git commands to generate patches
in just the right way. If someone else feels confident about this, you
can add the section -- I agree it would be an improvement.

Richard