7.8 Feature window

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 21 18:07:03 CEST 2013

How long does the patch review process usually take? Just so I can factor that in when thinking of getting this into 7.8.0.
There are two issues:

1.   Is the design good?  Does the additional language complexity pay its way?  Is the implementation reasonably simple, or unreasonably complicated?

2.    Is the actual patch good (well-implemented, well-documented, etc)

(2) is relatively straightforward, but this feature is a "big" one.   I'd like to get a bit of feedback from our community.

The Trac page sketches the design, but I bet you have come across some subtleties as you implemented it.  (Exports for one.)  Would you be willing to expand the design specification (as seen by the programmer) to be as complete as possible?   Include some examples.  This would best be done on the Trac wiki rather than in the ticket itself.  Most of text can come from the existing writeup, but I expect you have more to add.   (Or maybe not... maybe it all turned out to be very simple.)

Once we have that we can send email to ghc-users pointing to the spec and asking what they think.  Lots of smart people there who may well have Good Ideas.

My gut feel is that, rather than rushing to throw this into 7.8, we should take a little while to think about it.  Everything else we are planning for 7.8 has been in gestation for much longer.

Any opinions from other ghc-devs?  http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5144

Talk later this week.

Simon