how to checkout proper submodules

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 21:04:42 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I just reread this thread again.  Is this one of these situations where *almost
everyone agrees, but the fix just didn't happen*?

In particular, there is still no formal relationship between versions of
the compiler and versions of the testsuite that tests it -- that seems odd!
 Can we please make *testsuite at least *a sub-module?  If we count this
long email thread as rough consensus, is it just waiting on someone of
sufficient authority typing a "git submodule add" command (and tweaking
sync-all accordingly)?

Also, Jan's suggestion sounded good -- that once all child repos are git
submodules then sync-all can be replaced with something that helps out with
git submodule branching, as it helps out with multi-repo branching now (a
little bit).

Best,
  -Ryan