code generation and backends Re: Design discussion for atomic primops to land in 7.8

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 19:55:48 CEST 2013

Austin also raises an important point:

Its high time we explore changes to the ABI/per architecture calling
convention and how they might impact performance.

 I think this is something worth exploring after the 7.8 release
(but not in the next month of prerelease engineering, though I need to suss
out some of that a bit more with the parties who care)

I had started working on a backwards compatible ABI change for llvm a few
months back that I could easily get LLVM folks to merge in, but I'd rather
only give the LLVM folks 1 set of ABI change patches within a 6month
period, where we've had the time to experiment with breaking changes as an
option too, rather than given them a partial patch now, and then a breaking
changes calling convention patch a few months from now.

(because if we don't bundle LLVM with GHC, we need to actually tie ABI
versions to LLVM major version releases, which isn't a problem, but just
requires thoughtful cooperation and such)

cheers
-Carter