arising from the dependency ... in the instance declaration

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 22:12:36 UTC 2013

Hi,

oh, I didn't realize that you meant using HEAD.

I'd guess that the new behavior is a result of the changes Simon made to
the constraint solver a little while ago (maybe about a month ago?).
I haven't had a chance to look at the code yet, but I believe he eliminated
some constraint interactions, which did not contribute towards
type-checking more programs, but lead to more confusing error messages.

By the way, I am not sure that this is a regression---I kind of like new
the new behavior.  For my second example we get:

test.hs:9:8:
    No instance for (C Bool Float) arising from a use of ‛op’
    In the expression: op True :: Float
    In an equation for ‛test’: test = op True :: Float

This tells us exactly what the problem is, namely the missing instance,
without going into stuff about functional dependencies.  I guess we _could_
also say that such an instance can't exist because of the other instance
and the functional dependency, but I am not sure how relevant that is...

-Iavor