Repository Reorganization Question

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Fri Dec 6 12:15:34 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-06 at 13:01:41 +0100, Johan Tibell wrote:
> When we merge in the testsuite repo, can we still keep the old commit IDs?
> They're referenced from all over the place.

...if we want to preserve the old testsuite's commit-ids, then we'll
have to live with carrying around those superflous large blobs in
testsuite's history nobody really needs, as afaik[1] we can't remove the
blobs w/o causing the commit-ids to change.

I'm not so much concerned about disk-space, but rather the wasted
network bandwidth involved (and yes, we're already suffering from that
now with the current testsuite.git). But I don't feel very strongly on
this one, if there's agreement that we want to keep around those dead
weights in the Git history in order to retain testsuite.git's original
commit ids *inside* ghc.git (nb: the old testsuite.git repo won't be
deleted and thus remain available, it just won't be pushed into
anymore).

Otoh, which use-cases exactly do you have in mind wrt the testsuite.git
commit-ids?

 [1]: maybe someone with more Git-foo knows a trick here?