Interface loading and dynamic linking

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 17:59:06 UTC 2013

Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> writes:

> You shouldn't need dynamic-by-default. It should Just Work in HEAD, both
> unregisterised and registerised.

Just to clarify, how does one configure GHCi to use dynamic linking now?
Should I interpret your message to mean that it is already configured
this way? Where in the tree is this configured?

To be perfectly clear, I want to ensure that dynamic linking is always
preferred over linking static objects with the RTS linker. Will this
happen as things stand? How does GHCi decide how to load a library? Is
this the role of GhcDynamic?

I'm still not really sure why `DYNAMIC_BY_DEFAULT` should be causing the
problems I'm observing. It seems to me that it is functionally equivalent
to passing the `-dynamic` flag as they both simply add `WayDyn` to DynFlag's
`ways` list. Do you have any idea where they might differ?

Cheers,

- Ben