Heads-up: new parallel I/O manager merged

Kazu Yamamoto ( 山本和彦 ) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Wed Feb 13 04:43:12 CET 2013

Hi all,

> I've merged the new parallel I/O manager that Andreas Voellmy and Kazu
> Yamamoto have been working on. The new parallel I/O manager scales much better
> than the current one*: the number of requests per second scales almost
> linearly up to 32 cores I believe. Perhaps Andreas could post the numbers.

Just after Johan's merge, I could build GHC on Mac. But after executing
	./sync-all -r git://github.com/ghc --testsuite pull
today, I cannot build GHC on Mac:

----
ghc-stage1: could not execute: /usr/bin/gcc
make[1]: *** [libraries/template-haskell/dist-install/build/Language/Haskell/TH/Syntax.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
----

I would like to know whether or not this failure is due to our
patches. Since building GHC with our patches were unstable on Mac, we
made a workaround. Andreas and I need to know that this workaround is
stable enough:

	https://github.com/ghc/packages-base/commit/bcf8724642f3cec73587313878047c87fd61e18f
	https://github.com/ghc/packages-base/commit/51a8b9bb878247675b6e003fa081f1a22b2ae420

Any information is welcome.