use UniqSupply in FastString?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 08:48:36 CEST 2013

I haven't been following this in detail, but I think you're encountering
the same problem we had with various top-level IORefs in the base
package.  The solution we have there is grotesque but it works.  Take a
look at libraries/base/GHC/Conc/Signal.hs, search for
getOrSetGHCConcSignalSignalHandlerStore.  There is some corresponding
RTS gunk to help with this in rts/Globals.c.

We can't make FastString use UniqSupply - it must use unsafePerformIO,
since the whole point is to hide the side effects behind a nice pure API.

Cheers,
	Simon