GHC head and .haddocks

Edsko de Vries edskodevries at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 12:38:25 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to build and install ghc head, with the installation of the
.haddocks. I'm running into all kinds of trouble though. I have
docbook and docbook-xsl installed, am using the standard sample
build.mk with the "quick" profile, modified to have

HADDOCK_DOCS       = YES
BUILD_DOCBOOK_HTML = YES

and configure confirms that it will build docs. A full 'make' however
leaves the source tree without any .haddock files inside, and a
subsequent 'make install' does not install any .haddock files either.
Moreover, curiously, no 'haddock' script is installed (only
haddock-ghc-7.7.20130721) -- but perhaps that is expected?

I can easily build the .haddock files manually by running "make html
stage=0 FAST=YES" as per the wiki (inside, say, ../base/ in the source
tree), and that works as expected, but a subsequent 'make install' in
the root still does not install any .haddocks.

I tried copying over the .haddock files manually, but now running
haddock (copied from haddock-ghc-7.7.20130721) exits with

haddock: internal error: /Users/dev/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721/html:
getDirectoryContents: does not exist (No such file or directory)

That path "/Users/dev/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721" is specified as the
"topdir" in the haddock script and passed to the actual executable
with -B and -l , and indeed that's where the libraries are installed.
However, I don't understand why it's looking in
~/local/lib/ghc-7.7.20130721/html, because the html documentation is
not installed there (but in ~/local/share/doc/ghc/html/libraries/).

I'm shooting in the dark here really, I'm not really sure what's going
on or what I've done wrong. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Edsko