Something stronger than IncoherentInstances needed (Univalent Classes?)

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sat Jul 27 01:16:59 CEST 2013

Joachim

Good point.

There is something odd about this. "IncoherentInstances" is meant to say "I don't care which path you take to proving this constraint".  So if we have
	instance C Int a
	instance C b Int
and we try to solve (C Int Int) we should arbitrarily pick either.  But we don't.

So I rather think that IncoherentInstances should be modified so it really does what it says.  (In effect, it'd become what you mean by univalent classes, but per-instance.)

If you need something short term, you could just bake in (NT a a) instance into the solver

Simon