Proposal: better library management ideas (was: how to checkout proper submodules)

Daniel Trstenjak daniel.trstenjak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 12:06:56 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:54:06AM +0300, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> My motivation for having a separate repository is that I can check it
> out and work on it without having to check out the whole GHC.

With git-subtree you can have both. A separate repository for easy
forking of e.g. base and just one repository for GHC with a sub directory
for base.

At work we're sharing a quite big library between two development teams.
There's a separate repository for this library, which is used for
synchronization between both projects. Each project has it's own
repository with a sub directory containing the library and git-subtree
is used to merge this sub directory with the library repository.

Most developers don't even have to care that there's a separate
repository for the library, they're just working with the one project repository.