Integer constant folding in the presence of new primops

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 17:43:04 CEST 2013

I'm also seeing performance regressions in the shootout benchmarks that I
can't identify in the asm. The new asm looks better but performs worse,
with a ~15% slowdown.

I fired up the performance counters in my CPU and the free Intel code for
inspecting them showed that my CPU utilization took about a 10% hit, even
while executing fewer total instructions.

  1) Jan, perhaps we're seeing the same sort of behavior — the shootout
benchmarks have extremely hot loops (hundreds of millions of iterations
IIRC). I used ticky profiling too, and saw no suspicious changes in any
counters.

  2) Dear Low-level Gurus: How feasible is it that a ~15% slowdown in a
program with a very hot loop is due to incidentally inhibiting some caching
behavior (instr? data?)? Or perhaps effecting alignment? FTR my CPU is a
Core i7-2620M, Sandy Bridge.

Thanks all.