Unreliability of the build system

Geoffrey Mainland mainland at apeiron.net
Mon Jun 24 16:56:35 CEST 2013

On 06/24/2013 03:47 PM, Jan Stolarek wrote:
>> I thought it was obvious that I only meant that it was reliable for me :)
> "Reliable for me" is a bit of oxymoron in the context of validating
correctness of software :) I
> guess that's why I titled this thread "Unreliability of the build system".

My only claim was that I have a set of steps that can reliably reproduce
an error on my system, not that these steps will reliably reproduce it
on an arbitrary system, e.g., yours. Still, being able to reliably
reproduce an error, even if only on one system, is *very* useful.

> I'm running ext4.
>
>> Is there any method by which you can consistently reproduce the recache
>> error on your system?
> Not that I'm aware of.

So, to be clear, you see recache errors sporadically and for different
sets of tests across different runs, and you are running validate with
no extra arguments, single-threaded, on a Linux x86_64 system with an
ext4 file system?

Geoff