GHC 7.8 Release Status & Schedule

Johan Tibell johan.tibell
Wed Oct 9 23:42:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com> wrote:
> One of the factors that's blocking my ability to build Hackage packages is
> that Hackage does not contain versions of a number of bundled-with-GHC
> packages that have versions matching the versions shipping with HEAD. It
> would unblock that process somewhat if you were to upload new versions of
> unix and various other packages that are not yet in sync fairly soon,
> preferably well before cutting the branch. Thanks!

+1. Forgetting to upload GHC released packages altogether (even after
the release) has been a problem in the past. I think we should aim for
making releases of all the packages GHC ships with before we make the
actual release. It will make sure 1) that's not forgotten and 2)
people have more time to fix their packages.

There's clearly a tension here: GHC might change last minute and break
one of the just released packages again, forcing another release. If
we release the packages once we enter feature freeze for GHC, that
should be a rare occurrence.