small improvement to roles mechanism

Johan Tibell johan.tibell
Fri Oct 11 23:14:48 UTC 2013

Let me start by saying that I'm happy we're trying to fix the GND problem.
Thanks for working on that.

That being said: is this ready for mainstream consumption? We're forcing
this on everyone without any language pragma or flags to opt-in/out. That
is bad if we're not sure we're doing the right thing in some cases or if
we're causing spurious failures. At ICFP I got the impression that very few
people will be affected, but Bryan's result suggests there are more people
than I thought.